Have you ever found yourself standing in front of your unorganized, cluttered wardrobe thinking, “what the heck am I supposed to do with this?”
We get it. You’re overwhelmed and don’t know where to start, but don’t worry. We know precisely what you can do to organize your wardrobe and keep it clean and tidy throughout the year.
Follow these steps to achieve that organized look while still maintaining functionality:
Clean Out Your Closet
Take the time to clean out your closet. Take out all clothes, hangers, and organizers (bins and baskets). Before turning your attention to the pile of clothes and accessories you just made, clean every nook and cranny of your closet using an all-purpose cleaner and a vacuum. This is also a great time to consider painting, wallpapering, or installing custom closet shelving.
Purge Your Wardrobe
Once all your clothes are out of your closet and drawers, go through each piece and place them into one of three categories:
- Throw away
A good rule of thumb is to get rid of clothes, jewelry, and other accessories you haven’t worn in over two years. Throw away anything damaged or unusable.
For all the items you keep, divide them by season. You don’t need your winter sweaters out in the middle of summer, and you probably won’t be wearing a swimsuit during a blizzard.
Rethink Your Available Space
When you think about wardrobe storage, it’s easy for your mind to go directly to your bedroom closet. However, you may have other spaces available throughout your home.
Guest bedrooms, offices, hall closets, and more can add to your storage space. Taking some of the clutter (i.e., a dresser, clothes rack, etc.) out of your bedroom could make your space feel cleaner and more relaxing.
Install Additional Clothes Racks
Custom closets are perfect if you want to maximize your space, especially if you don’t have much room to work with in the first place. You can design a long hanging clothes rack for dresses, coats, and more in the corner of your bedroom or studio, while a double hanging bar can effectively double your hanging space.
Saint Louis Closet Co. accessories include:
- Wardrobe rails (small) & wardrobe rails (large)
- Stationary belt and tie racks
- Tie butlers (black) & tie butlers (white)
- Telescoping rods
- Pull-down rods
- Chrome belt racks
- Chrome scarf racks
- Chrome tie racks
- Brass belt racks
Use Wardrobe Clothes Organizers
One way to organize your wardrobe is to utilize dividers. You can purchase and collect containers, labels, and shelf dividers. Using these items, you can create zones where you can separate different sections of your closet and/or dresser for different items.
- Subdivide by color (put them in rainbow order if you’d like).
- Keep high-use items toward the front of your wardrobe and easy to access while tucking low-use items out of the way.
- Use closet add-ons like hooks and scarf racks to hang accessories on your walls or create a shelf for said accessories.
Saint Louis Closet Co. wardrobe clothes organizers include:
- Drawer dividers
- Lingerie drawers
- Tie drawers
- Sliding shelves
Find A Footwear Solution
Our shoes take up way too much closet space for most of us. Leaving them on your closet floor wastes space and makes everything look messy, even if it’s organized. Here are some solutions:
- Raise your shoes off the ground with a rack or adjustable shoe shelf.
- Display your shoes on shelves built into your closet wall. This will look classy and clean and give you the space to organize by color, type, or size.
- Use an over-the-door shoe rack.
Saint Louis Closet Co. footwear solutions include:
- Slanted shoe shelves
- Slanted shoe shelves with chrome rails
- Adjustable shelves
Learn How to Fold and Hang Your Clothes
- Utilize stacking methods for clothes with dividers and shelves.
- Use the vertical or file folding method for drawers.
- Use special hangers or closet accessories to consolidate scarves, ties, and belts.
- You can store smaller bags inside larger bags.
- Keep pants wrinkle-free and out of your clothes rack and shelf real estate by hanging them on a pull-out pant rack organizer.
Maintaining an Organized Wardrobe
The more often you decide to work on your closet maintenance, the less time it will take for you to reorganize after adding or taking away items. Make it a priority to go through your wardrobe at least once a month and tackle a full-blown reorganization process twice a year. To make it easy on yourself, make a cleaning schedule by season, date, or event.
Saint Louis Closet Co.
At Saint Louis Closet Co., we have everything you need to keep your wardrobe organized all year. Our custom designs mean we can use the most out of your space. You can rest assured that we provide all the tools and accessories necessary to help you achieve the wardrobe of your dreams.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation at 314-781-9000 or visit our showroom in Maplewood, Missouri. We promise not to disappoint!